Take a break from the cold Australian winter and imagine yourself holidaying in Asia without even leaving your kitchen.
These Asian-inspired dishes from Australian Pork - Pork Pot Sticker Dumplings and Hoisin Pork Rice Paper Rolls - are sure to tantalise your tastebuds.
PORK POT STICKER DUMPLINGS
1½ cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage
1 tsp salt
250g pork mince
2 green onions (shallots), trimmed and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp finely grated ginger
2 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp salt reduced soy sauce, plus extra to serve
1 tsp sesame oil
30 fresh dumpling wrappers
2 tbsp vegetable oil
To serve: 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Place cabbage into a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Stand for 15 minutes to soften. Drain and squeeze cabbage to remove excess juice then return to the bowl.
2. Add pork mince, green onions, garlic, ginger, cornflour, soy sauce and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
3. Place dumpling wrappers on a clean flat surface. Place a heaped teaspoon of pork mince mixture in the centre of each wrapper. Brush wrapper edges with water. Fold wrapper in half and using your thumb and index finger, pleat one edge and press to enclose the filling. Place onto prepared baking tray.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
5. Add 15 dumplings, pleated side-up and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden on the bases. Add ½ cup boiling water, cover and cook for 4 minutes or until water has evaporated and dumplings have a golden crust on one side.
6. Repeat with remaining 15 dumplings.
7. Transfer to serving plates, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with extra soy sauce.
HOISIN PORK RICE PAPER ROLLS
¾ cup hoisin sauce
600g pork loin steaks, 2cm thick
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
12 large (about 22cm) rice paper wrappers
¼ iceberg lettuce, trimmed and finely shredded
1 large carrot, finely shredded lengthways
1 Lebanese cucumber, finely shredded lengthways
1 large just-ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup coriander sprigs
1. Brush ¼ cup hoisin sauce over both sides of pork steaks. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add pork steaks and cook for 6 minutes on one side, 2 minutes on the other side. Transfer to a plate and rest for 2 minutes. Thinly slice pork.
2. Combine remaining ½ cup hoisin sauce and rice wine vinegar in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Half fill a large bowl with warm water. Place 1 rice wrapper in water for 20-30 seconds to soften. Transfer to a clean chopping board.
4. Top with a little of the pork, lettuce, carrot, cucumber, avocado and coriander. Drizzle with a little of the reserved hoisin mixture. Fold sides of wrapper over filling and roll to enclose the filling
5. Place onto a plate. Cover with damp paper towel. Repeat using remaining wrappers and filling ingredients.
6. Serve rice paper rolls with the remaining hoisin sauce mixture for dipping.